Mountain Pointe opened its doors to students in 1991. Under the direction of its first principal, Dr. Harold Slemmer, the words Purpose, Pride and Peformance became a tradition at Mountain Pointe. When Dr. Slemmer was selected to lead Mountain Pointe, he was considered one of Arizona's foremost educational administrators and motivators of young adults. With over fourteen years of teaching, coaching, and administrative experience behind him, Dr. Slemmer was uniquely qualified to build our school from the ground up. A graduate of Arizona State University, he received his bachelor of Arts, Masters of Science as well as his Doctor of Education in educational administration and supervision as well as curriculum and instruction development. During his time at ASU, he lettered in football and was first team selection on the Academic All-Western Athletic Conference football team. Upon leaving his position as principal at Mountain Pointe, he took a position as the Director of the Arizona Interscholastic Athletic Association.
School Colors and Mascot
Many Mascots were considered for Mountain Pointe, including the Eagles, Rangers and Pride. Eventually the student body voted and Pride was chosen to be our permanent Mascot. The Pride embodies our ideal of community and family. Maroon and Gold was an obvious choice of colors for the school due to the many Arizona State Graduates that opened the school.
Community and Parent InvolvementOur school was created with the community and parents being involved from the beginning. Input was received from local residents and business in the surrounding Ahwatukee neighborhoods. The "e" in Pointe was a nod to The Pointe at South Mountain and it's surrounding neighborhoods, which has since changed its name to the Arizona Grand.
Awards and RecognitionsMountain Pointe received a number of awards, including recognition by Business Week for Instructional Innovation in Character Education, Redbook Magazine's America's Best Schools. Mountain Pointe was named an A+ Schools Recognition Semi-Finalist three times and the school's athletic achievements included numerous AIA awards.
Senior WalkSenior Walk is a Mountain Pointe tradition since 1997, that honors Pride seniors who have made outstanding contributions to our Mountain Pointe community. The honorees appear in a special program and have their name placed on the Senior Walk banner that will be displayed in the G-wing lobby for years to come. Senior Walk participants will be honored during the Homecoming Assembly and half time at the Homecoming Football Game. Only members of Senior Walk may be nominated for the Homecoming Court.
- Danny Baugher, American football player
- Will Claye, Silver medal winner in the triple jump and a Bronze medal in the long jump at the 2012 London Olympics. Silver medal winner at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- C. J. Cron, baseball player
- Kevin Cron, baseball player
- Brad Evans, Major League Soccer player
- Adam Juwig, former guitarist for the band Anarbor
- Joe Mather, baseball player
- Rachel Melvin, actress on Days of Our Lives
- John O'Callaghan, lead singer in the band The Maine
- DC Pierson, comedian, Derrick Comedy
- Nicole Powell, WNBA player
- Reid Priddy (1996), volleyball player in the 2004, 2008 and 2012 Summer Olympics
- Sara Slattery, distance runner
- Cole Tucker (baseball), MLB Player
- Nick Scheib (golf), Alps Golf Tour Member
- Jeanine Pacheco Buller, theater/actress