Special education department
Tempe High's Special Education programs offers services for students who, due to a disability or other impairment, have been determined eligible for an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). The goal of the department is to provide students educational opportunities to maximize their instructional capabilities through a full range of services intended to meet the individual needs of students. Parental participation is a key element of the department's teaching approach. It is Special Education's desire to work with parents and students to help students achieve their goals. Should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact our office.
special education department highlights
- Best Buddies - The mission of Best Buddies is to enhance the lives of people with intellectual disabilities providing opportunities for one-to-one friendships and integrated employment. Learn about Best Buddies of Arizona here.
- Buff Stuff Enterprises, a classroom-based business that markets, produces, and sells flavored popcorn.
- Co-taught classes
- Our on-campus Print Shop for vocational training
- Read180 reading program
- Student-led IEPs
- SHADES (Students Helping Access Doors Educationally and Socially) is a club unique to Tempe High School’s campus that provides the opportunities for students with high functioning autism/Asperger's and other needs in the areas of communication and social skills to participate in social activities, be mentored by, and build lasting friendships with peers in their general education classes.
- Vocational Exploration
- WorkBridge offers the opportunity for a student to explore occupational interests and to develop work behaviors in a community setting.
special education faculty
Tori Bailey Jared Brusby Steve Hartman Grigor Hakobyan Rita Huang Lauren Jimenez Aynsley Kenner LuAnn Kenner Jennifer Laurence Roberto Matiella Bryan Maxwell Adam Pavlenko CJ Otto James Reinhardt Jeff Richards Loriann Thompson Lillian Tomlinson Brian Walker
Student Services Coordinator
(480) 967-1661 Ext. 20146
Diana Sanchez Ortega
Student Services Technician
(480) 967-1661 Ext. 20415
Charles Kaprolet, Ph.D., NCSP
(480) 967-1661 x20141