Desert Vista Math Department
We are proud of our students, and proud of the world-class mathematics education we provide for them!
Highlights about our mathematics program...
We offer many advanced math courses:
- 3 Math AP Courses: AP Stats, and AP Calculus BC.
- 9 Math Honors Courses: Geometry, Algebra 2, Finite Math, Brief Calculus, Calculus III, and Differential Equations.
- 10 Dual-Enrollment Courses for college credit: Pre-Calculus, Finite Math, Brief Calculus, AP Calculus, Calculus III, Differential Equations, Advanced Math Seminar, AP Stats, and Linear Algebra.
- Linear Algebra, a 200 level university math course.
- Every year, we have students score high enough on the American Math Contest, and following American Invitational Mathematics Exam, to qualify for the following Math Olympiad competition (one step away from being on the U.S. Mathematics Olympics team).
- On the 2010 State Math Contest, Desert Vista High School had 12 students in the top 50.
- There are ~20 quality math teachers in the math department with years of combined math teaching experience. 10 of our math teachers have Masters degrees.
Here are some of the reasons for the success of the Desert Vista math program:
- The Desert Vista culture of success - Our students, families, teachers, and administration continue to set the bar high and achieve those goals. Our students are among the best in the nation, and we continually strive to keep our students challenged and successful.
- Hiring expert math teachers who know the math, and who can teach anyone math.
- 19 teacher-ask any teacher-math help in C114 from 7:00-8:30 AM and 3:00-4:00 PM
- Excellent and responsive parent-teacher communication via teacher webpages, emails, and phone calls.
- Strict homework and attendance policies.
- Encouraging students to take honors-level classes. Desert Vista has one of the highest percentages of students taking honors classes in the state.
- Honors textbook in all geometry classes
- Promoting that algebra 1-2 should be taken by all 8th graders
- Successful elimination of the gender math gap
- Successful elimination of the ethnicity math gap
The 800 Club
The following students have all received a perfect score of 800 on the math portion of the SAT,
PSAT, or SAT II exam. Congratulations to all these students and their math teachers that helped them achieve this amazing result!
Note: If you have an 800 math score on the SAT and you are not listed, please bring proof of
your score to the math office and we'll be happy to add your name to the 800 Club!