Parents Rights/Federal Law

  • A Parent's Right to Know - Under Federal Law | 2022 Parental Rights Handbook from Arizona Dept. of Education - PDF
    Or see the handbook in the window below.

    As a parent of a student at a Tempe Union High School District school, you have the right to know the professional qualifications of the classroom teachers who instruct your child. Federal law allows you to ask for certain information about your child’s classroom teachers and requires us to give you this information in a timely manner if you ask for it. Specifically, you have the right to ask for the following information about each of your child’s classroom teachers:

    • Whether the Arizona Department of Education has licensed or qualified the teacher for the grades and subjects he or she teaches.
    • Whether the Arizona Department of Education has decided that the teacher can teach in a classroom without being licensed or qualified under state regulations because of special circumstances.
    • The teacher’s college major; whether the teacher has any advanced degrees and, if so, the subject of the degrees.
    • Whether any teachers’ aides or similar paraprofessionals provide services to your child and, if they do, their qualifications.
    If you would like to receive any of this information, please call Dr. Stacia Wilson, Associate Superintendent at 480-839-0292 x11014 or Stacy White, Director of Instructional Services 480-839-0292 x12040.

    Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."

    Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

    Sometimes referred to as “504” prohibits discrimination against students on the basis of their disability.
    To learn more about Section 504, please see our Special Education Department for more information on 504 Accommodations, References, and Contacts.