About the Larry Thomas Memorial Scholarship
Scholarship description: Larry Thomas Memorial Scholarship
Larry "Coach" Thomas was a former Marine, graduate of Tempe High and worked at Mountain Pointe High School as the Dropout Prevention Coordinator and Head Track Coach. Larry also co-founded the Arizona Saints in Laveen and held numerous coaching positions throughout the valley. Those that knew Larry immediately believed in his word and promise to help those, especially youth become the best they can be. Larry knew, where there was a will, he would help find a way. This scholarship was developed by family, friends and general community to help youth achieve their goal of higher learning. Thank you "LT" for your dedication, support and lifelong impacts we will cherish forever.
Students: Apply to the Larry Thomas Memorial Scholarship Today!
Below are the minimum requirements for Senior applicants. Deadline to apply is February 11, 2020. Please help spread the word to our Seniors!
Larry Thomas Memorial Scholarship Requirements:
- Mountain Pointe student
- Work Experience or a minimum of 35 hours of community service
- Activities and Leadership Contributions or 1 extra-curricular activity/sport on campus
- Primary reference from school or professional
- Minimum 2.5 GPA. Candidates will be asked to write 2 essays. Details are on the Tempe Dollars for Scholars Website.
- $1,000 awarded to any institute of higher learning
We are hoping to raise at least $1,000 each year to give away one scholarship. As the years' progress, we hope to give out more than one scholarship.
If you would like to donate, here are a few options:
- Visit www.tempe.dollarsforscholars.org (click DONATE NOW tab, and be sure to enter Larry Thomas scholarship name at the bottom of the donation page).
- Drop off money to Malia Austin at Mountain Pointe High School (Cash, check or loose change is greatly appreciated. All deposits will be made to TUHSD on a regular basis).
- TAX donations will be allowed through December 31st, 2019; any donations thereafter will be toward the following tax year. Deadline to donate is February 10, 2020.
- Mail or drop off donations to TUHSD office, ATTN: Mark Kulik or Dr. Kevin Mendivil. Please mail to:
Tempe Dollars for Scholars
Attn: Mr. Mark Kulik, District Scholarship Counselor or Dr. Kevin Mendivil, Superintendent
Tempe Union High School District
500 West Guadalupe Road
Tempe, AZ 85283