Advancement Via Individual Determination, AVID
What is AVID?AVID an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. AVID's mission is to close the opportunity gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.AVID was established more than 30 years ago with one teacher in one classroom. AVID today impacts more than 800,000 students in 44 states and 16 countries/territories. AVID trains educators to use research-based strategies and curriculum to prepare students for academic success in high school, college, and a career. AVID especially targets those students that are traditionally underrepresented in higher education or those that will be first-generation college students.
The AVID System annually provides more than 30,000 educators with training and methodologies that develop students' critical thinking, literacy, and math skills across all content areas throughout the entire campus, in what is called Schoolwide AVID.
Potential AVID students participate in an application process. Once selected, students are enrolled in an AVID elective class that emphasizes WICOR strategies (Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading), time management, and test preparation.
- AVID is an academic support program that prepares students for college eligibility and success
- AVID places academically average to above-average students in advanced classes -Honors, AP, Dual, IB
- AVID teaches academic and social skills for academic success that are not targeted in other classes
- AVID teaches time management, note-taking strategies, and goal setting
- AVID provides intensive support with in-class tutors and a strong student/teacher relationship
- AVID creates a positive peer group for students
- AVID develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard work and determination