Frequently Asked Questions

  • What does my donation pay for?

    School tax credit donations help pay extracurricular activity fees. Funds can apply to sports, arts and music programs and most after-school student clubs.
    Click here - PDF for more information tax credit eligibility from the Arizona Department of Revenue.

    How much can I donate?

    A person filing an individual tax return may contribute up to $200. Married couples filing jointly may contribute up to $400.

    Is this tax credit only available to parents with students in school?

    No, this tax credit is available to any Arizona taxpayer, whether or not they have children in school.

    I have been donating money to schools for years, what’s the difference?

    Contributions to schools have always been tax-deductible. A tax deduction allows you to subtract the amount of a contribution from the amount of your taxable income. The new law allows a tax credit, which is subtracted from the amount of taxes you owe.

    What is the difference between a tax credit and a tax deduction?

    A tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction in the actual tax owed. A tax deduction only reduces the total taxable income from which the taxed owed is calculated.

    Can I choose which extracurricular activities my money should benefit?

    Yes, you can indicate areas of allocation, such as a student club or activity. The designation must be made at the time of donation.

    Are all Arizona schools participating?

    No, only public schools that charge fees for extracurricular activities are eligible for the tax credit. Tempe Union implemented a $1 extracurricular Activity Fee effective September 10, 1998. In June 2002, the district began charging additional fees for some extracurricular activities. These fees qualify for the tax credit program.

    What do I submit with my taxes as proof of this contribution?

    You must submit the receipt from the school. Once you have given your contribution to the school representative, a receipt will be provided to you for tax purposes. If you mail in the completed tax credit deposit form with your contribution, a receipt will be mailed to you.

    When can I participate?

    Now! All you need to do is complete the Tax Credit Donation Form and write a check made payable to the school of your choice. Mail the form and your check to the attention of the Bookstore Manager at the high school you’ve chosen. It must be postmarked by December 31 to take advantage of the tax credit for this year.