Welcome to TUHSD's Summer Bridge Program
What is Summer Bridge?
Summer Bridge is a free summer program targeting 8th-grade students. The program brings Tempe Union, Tempe Elementary, and Kyrene District teachers together in a team teaching model to provide a highly engaging mathematics experience to help more students find success with the mathematics foundations preparing them to achieve proficiency in Algebra 1 by 9th-grade.
It is a Title 1 funded program only available for 8th-grade students who are enrolled in Mountain Pointe High School, Marcos de Niza High School, McClintock High School, and Tempe High School. Students enrolled at Desert Vista and Corona del Sol High Schools are not eligible to participate in this program.
Session Dates: July 12–23, 2021 from 7:30 AM – 1:30 PM
Please register for Summer Bridge using this 2021 Registration Form - PDF
- Bridge mathematics gaps in preparation for Algebra in grade 9
- Increase foundational mathematics understanding
- Develop confidence with mathematics and problem solving
- Get to experience the high school setting in advance of starting high school
- Create new friendships and meet your principal and teachers early
Summer Bridge will not only give students the academic boost they need to be successful in Math, but help bridge the students from middle school to high school by giving them an opportunity to get to know the campus, administration, and becoming comfortable with the school prior to entering 9th grade.
To close the achievement gap in math by moving students toward grade level by their freshman year.
Course Offered: (Math Lab MAT900)
Math Lab is a support course designed to meet the needs of students whose mathematics achievement is below the proficient level at their current grade. This course directly addresses students’ needs through the use of small group instruction, computer-aided instruction, review of basic arithmetic and pre-algebra concepts and procedures, and supplemental activities that reinforce concepts and objectives presented in the core mathematics courses.
Students will be enrolled in Math Lab during the 10 days of instruction. Upon satisfactory completion of the course, students will earn a “P” passing grade of ½ credit elective applied to their high school transcript upon enrollment in TUHSD. These courses are free to the students.
Locations of Summer Bridge:
Locations include Tempe High School, McClintock High School, Marcos de Niza High School, and Mountain Pointe High School. One to two Math Lab courses will be offered at each of the four high schools.
Transportation will be provided by TUHSD buses to the school students will be attending. Tempe city bus passes are also available for free to Tempe residents and information on passes will be provided at an upcoming parent meeting.
TUHSD Food and Nutrition Department will provide free meals and snacks for students in the summer bridge program. This will include a hot breakfast and a hot lunch each day and food/snacks available for purchase during the breaks. A cafeteria worker will be on staff at each campus to prepare and serve the food.
- Enrollment will be based on the first 50 registered students at each school
- All school supplies will be provided
- All registration forms need to be returned to the child’s middle school office
Summer Bridge students are allowed no more than two (2) absences to earn credit. Attendance reporting will begin on the first scheduled day of class. Students who enter school late will be considered absent for the days missed and are responsible for making up missed work.
A tardy is defined as being late to class at the beginning of the school day and/or after each break. If students are more than fifteen (15) minutes late (arrive late, leave early, etc.), it will be counted as an absence.
Campuses hosting the Summer Bridge program are considered closed campuses. Students must remain on campus during school hours. If a student arrives after the beginning of the school day at 7:30 AM, the student must sign in at the front office and receive a hall pass. Students leaving campus before 1:30 PM will sign out through the front office.
Summer Bridge students are expected to conduct themselves, at all times, in a manner that will bring credit to themselves, their parents, and the school. Students will follow TUHSD’s standards of behavior. Under Arizona law, students will be held accountable for disorderly conduct on school property and on the way to and from school. (A.R.S. 15-34)
Students committing disruptive, dangerous, or illegal acts may be excluded from the opportunity of attending Summer Bridge. Any of the following acts committed during Summer Bridge may result in suspension or recommendation for expulsion
(this list is not all-inclusive of offenses):
- Sale of narcotics or illegal drugs
- Smoking or other use of tobacco products
- Physical abuse (assault) of a staff member
- Use of dangerous weapons against another person (firearms, switchblade, knives, bicycle chains, brass knuckles, clubs, etc.)
- Possession, use of, or being under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs, or narcotics
- Theft or illegal use of another’s property
- Possession of a weapon or other article designed to cause bodily harm
- Verbal abuse of a staff member
- Involvement in a disturbance on, or in the vicinity of another campus
- Damaging or defacing another’s property or school building, property, or equipment
- Profanity or abusive language (insubordination)
- Extortion, gambling, fighting, or being involved in acts of violence
- Disrespect towards, or failure to comply with a reasonable request of a staff member (insubordination)
- Possession or use of articles designed to disrupt the educational process
- Any act that disrupts the normal education process (all students have a right to learn)
Summer Bridge Brochure:
Please download interactive pdfs to your desktop and fill them out in Adobe Reader (current version) to enable the save as feature. Filling out a form in an internet browser window will NOT save your content. Word documents will download to your desktop to be opened in a Microsoft Word application to enable the save as feature.