Desert Vista Summer Math Academy
Register early, space is limited. Registration begins Feb 22, 2021, and runs through May 21, 2021.
Desert Vista High School Math Department proudly offers another successful year of summer school! The DV Math department has offered summer school since 2000. In the past, we have had as many as 450 4th through 10th graders take advantage of this opportunity per year.
This program has a threefold purpose:
- Allowing students to move ahead in math, or into honors. (Note: for the highly motivated student)
- Remediating a student's math skills to help bring students up to grade level.
- Sharpening a student's math skills by previewing a class for the next school year.
Students can use this summer program to better prepare for the AzM2 test as well as satisfy the new four-year math requirement. Many universities require students to take at least Calculus and Statistics; both classes are offered at Desert Vista for our accelerated students.
Complete the registration paperwork and return it to the DV bookstore.
- WHO: Incoming 8th-9th-10th-11th graders
- OFFERING: Algebra 1, and Honors Geometry, and Algebra 2
- WHEN: 8 AM – 1 PM for Algebra 1, H. Geometry, and Algebra 2 | 5 weeks (Monday through Friday) starting Tuesday, June 1, 2021, until Friday, June 30, 2021
- Kyrene Students will be self-paced until June 9. Teachers online live from 3:30 –5 PM for Kyrene students for help and testing
- COST: Algebra 1-2, Honors Geometry - $350
- NO Refund after May 21, 2021
- WHERE: Virtually online using Google Meets**
** If CDC / Tempe Union District health guidelines allow, we may switch to live in-person instruction. Any changes will be communicated with all parents/students prior to the start of the program.
Textbook: ALGEBRA I—2015 Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Kanold, T. et al ISBN:978-0-544-38189-6;
Number Systems (3) Integers =,-,x,/ Fractions +,-,x,/ (4) Decimals +,-,x,/ PerCent Real Numbers Absolute Value (2) Equations +,-,x,/ (8) Literal (2) Inequalities (6) Graphing y=mx+b (10) Slope Functions (3) Probability Box plots Stem plots Stats (14) sem2: Systems (7) Polynomials +,-,x,/ (10) Exponents Factoring (6) Rational Exp/Equations (6) Radicals (8) Quadratic (6) Complete Square (1) Quadratic Formula (3).
Honors Geometry (Algebra throughout)
Textbook: "Geometry For Enjoyment and Challenge", Rhoad, McDougal--1991;
Conditional, Converse, inverse, Contrapositive (2), Definitions and proofs (1), Angles (7), Complementary and Supplementary angles (6), Midpoint (3), Congruent Triangles (3), Triangles (7), Parallel/Perpendicular Lines, Angles, Slopes (4), Space (2), Quadrilaterals (5), Polygons (4) sem2: Similar (3), Pythagorean Triples (3), 30-60-90/45-45-90 (3), Trigonometry (2), Circle Angles, Segments (9), Areas (12), Surface Area/Volume (7), Coordinate Geometry (3), Locus, Inequalities (Hinge), Crook Problems (1), Transformations (4), Probability (3), Matrices (1) Nets(1), Sequences (4), Walk Around Problems (1).
This course begins with a review of Algebra 1 topics and introduces the following new topics: matrices, complex numbers, exponential and logarithmic functions, conic sections, higher degree polynomial functions, sequences and series, and trigonometry. This course or Honors
Algebra 2 is required for students who are planning to attend most post-secondary institutions.
Arts Academy update
Desert Vista High School Summer Arts, Engineering and Speech & Debate summer programs have been cancelled. We apologize for the inconvenience.