The Tempe Union High School District partners with ENGAGE Arizona a statewide program, funded by the state of Arizona, and offered to Arizona’s local education agencies (LEAs). The program provides assistance to schools and families disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic through intensive outreach, engagement, and enhanced support for all students.
This program starts with a multi-modal outreach strategy, designed to reach eligible students and families referred, via phone, mail, text, or social media. Once a connection is made, students are given the opportunity to work with an academic coach during summer learning programs and through fall of 2021.
The coach helps to identify, and mitigate the obstacles preventing engagement including: helping the student with skills necessary to succeed in today’s learning environments, encouraging the student’s pace and progress, and providing support the student needs to stay engaged, assuring continuation of their educational journey.
ENGAGE Arizona assists districts in engaging students and families in grades k-12 who:
- have not engaged during the 2020-21 school year; or
- are participating in the district’s summer offerings; or
- are chronically absent; or
- are academically at risk; or
- whose families need additional support to get or stay on track with school.
The challenges students must overcome to succeed in today’s learning environments require significant, on-going support, not just one-and-done problem solving.
Which students qualify?
There are many reasons why a student might be struggling right now. Our nationwide data shows, even those who were successful before the public health crisis may be struggling. This is not their fault, nor is it the fault of their teachers or their schools.
Learning and community environments have shifted in profound ways, and many students are struggling with this change. The following students qualify to participate in the ENGAGE Arizona program. Students who are in grade K-12 and who meet one or more of the following:
- Did not engage in their LEA's education offerings in the 2020-21 school year, or
- Are participating in their LEA's summer offerings, or
- Are chronically absent, or
- Are in danger of failing one or more class, or
- Whose families have requested additional support.
Graduation Alliance’s Ongoing Support Levels are delivered through Academic Coaches. Intervention methods vary based on the Ongoing Support Level needs of the student, ranging from daily outreach to periodic check-ins.