McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance

  • If due to loss of housing and/or economic hardship, you may qualify for McKinney-Vento services through TUHSD. These services provide students and their families with a wide variety of resources needed, depending on each individual circumstance. If you live in a shelter, motel, vehicle or campground, on the street, in abandoned buildings or trailers or other inadequate accommodations, or doubled up with relatives or friends because you cannot find or afford housing, then according to the McKinney-Vento Act, you may be considered homeless.

    Your children have the right to:

    • Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there. You must be given access to the same public education provided to other students.

    • Continue in the school they attended before becoming homeless or the school they last attended, if that is your choice and is feasible. The school district's local liaison for homeless education must assist them, if needed, and offer them the right to appeal a decision regarding their choice of school if it goes against their wishes.

    • Receive transportation to the school they attended before they became homeless or the school they last attended, if they request such transportation.

    • Attend a school and participate in school programs with students who are not homeless. Students cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.

    • Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.

    • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.

    • Enroll and attend classes in the school of their choice even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrollment.

    • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs.

    • Receive transportation to school and to school programs.
    Also considered homeless are some refugees, unaccompanied youth, or individuals living in substandard housing.
    If your housing is unstable, your schooling doesn't have to be. You can enroll in school

Homeless Assistance Contacts