Welcome to the Summer Education Academy - Credit Recovery
June 4, 2021
Dear Parents of SEA students,
Our intent for this year’s SEA session at Marcos de Niza was to offer a free in-person opportunity for students who had struggled during the regular school year, and ensure that they had access to in-person academic interventions as well as extra assistance to help ensure success.
Beginning with the second session of SEA starting on June 14, we will transition to a fully in-person learning model. Students attending summer school at Marcos de Niza will be expected to attend in-person, every day. Additional staff and tutors have been hired so there are multiple opportunities for students to receive the interventions they need to successfully complete courses.
If your child is unable to attend in-person as a result of this change, please complete this form by Friday, June 11th. If your student plans to attend Session 2 please do not complete this form. There will be free credit recovery options available during the fall. Additional information will be provided once it is available.
If you have any questions regarding this change, please contact the SEA administrative team at tuhsdSEA@TempeUnion.org.
Tuesday, May 25 – Friday, June 11, 2021
Monday, June 14 – Wednesday, June 30, 2021
- Classes are Monday through Friday from 7:30 AM – 12:40 PM.
- Summer Education Academy is hosted by Marcos de Niza High School located at 6000 S. Lakeshore Drive, Tempe, AZ.
- Open to current 2020-2021 students only. Incoming freshmen are NOT eligible to take any SEA Course for credit recovery at this time.
Dear Summer Education Academy families, students, and staff members:
As you know, the CDC provided an update regarding mask usage for people who are fully vaccinated. While we are excited to be getting back to normal, we want to ensure that we can keep our SEA students and staff safe for the duration of the summer session.
We ask that you be mindful of the following:
All SEA students enrolled in the in-person option at Marcos de Niza will be required to wear masks during class. Masks may only be removed when outside (physically distanced) or during PE.
SEA STAFF MEMBERS
Masks will be optional for TUHSD staff members who are fully vaccinated. However, we strongly recommend that staff members continue to wear masks while inside, on school property, as they will most likely be exposed to those who are not vaccinated.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to navigate this situation. We look forward to the beginning of SEA and a successful session for all.
Principal, TUHSD Summer Education Academy
- have regular, convenient, daily access to a computer and the Internet to complete coursework
- be an independent, self-disciplined, self-motivated learner
- be able to self-advocate and ask for help when needed
The In-person Summer Academy is not online but live, in class with a teacher.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, credit recovery courses will be offered at NO COST.
- A total of two semester credit recovery courses can be taken.
- A student cannot be absent more than two (2) days per session.
- Tardiness or early departures in excess of 15 minutes will constitute one (1) absence. This includes virtual students during Session I only. Session II will ONLY be available in person.
- On the third (3) absence, students will be withdrawn from the class.
Free transportation is available from each of the Tempe Union High Schools to the Summer Education Academy at Marcos de Niza (including two pick-up locations in Maricopa). No bus pass necessary. To avoid traffic congestion, it is highly recommended to use the District Bus Transportation.
Free school meals (breakfast & lunch) are available at Marcos de Niza, Monday – Friday. Grab & Go meals are available curbside for children 18 years or younger. Please go to https://www.tempeunion.org/Food-Nutrition for more information and to sign up for Grab & Go meals.
All final exams are administered by the course instructor.
- Session 1: Friday, June 11, 2021
- Session 2: Wednesday, June 30, 2021
Students must be present for the entire class period on exam days. The coursework and final exam on these days are critical to success in every course.
Summer Education Academy Contacts
Questions or comments? E-mail:
SEA Administration Team:
SEA ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS
- Dora Samson
- Lenica Ruiz
- Aaron Frana
- David Klecka
Student Services Coordinator for Special Education
Tina GarciaAdministrative Assistant
- Dora Samson
Please download interactive pdfs to your desktop and fill them out in Adobe Reader (current version) to enable the save as feature. Filling out a form in an internet browser window will NOT save your content. Word documents will download to your desktop to be opened in a Microsoft Word application to enable the save as feature.