- Tempe Union High School District
- TUHSD Newsroom
Tempe Union High School District hosts 2nd annual film festival
Tempe Union High School District is proud to present the second annual film festival. TUHSD Film & TV students from Corona del Sol, McClintock, Mountain Pointe and Desert Vista were tasked to create feature films.
All submitted films must include several required elements, including pops, characters and lines of dialogue.
Prop: Cookie Monster
Character: Skylar the Journalist
Lines of Dialogue:
- Dutch Bros is so overrated
- That's not what you said last time
Students will be judged by film industry professionals, including:
- Sarah Happel Jackson - Marcos de Niza High School alumna ('98) Sarah Happel Jackson is an executive producer with James Cordon's Fulwell 73 Production Company in Hollywood.
- Vladimir Cassel has served as Creative Executive at The Story Factory, a literary agency and production company responsible for numerous NY Times bestsellers and their film/TV adaptations, such as Savages, Salinger, and the upcoming adaptation of James Comey’s A Higher Loyalty at CBS All Access.
- Jen Kim Nagakawa has worked as a movie and television editor for over fifteen years. After getting her start at CBS, she edited for such companies as New Line Cinema.
- Manny Montana stars as "Rio" on NBC's hit series Good Girls, opposite Christina Hendricks. Prior to that, Montana starred for three seasons on USA Network's critically acclaimed series Graceland.
- Jakob Owens is a Filmmaker/Entrepreneur based in Los Angeles California and a graduate of McClintock High School ('08). His work has been displayed on major television networks such as MTV, VH1, BET, REVOLT, ESPN and more.
Here are the 2020 Film Festival winners:
1st Place - The Tee Shop, Corona del Sol High School
2nd Place - Cookie Monster is My Friend, Mountain Pointe High School
3rd Place - More Than A Story, Desert Vista High School
Films were also recognized in several special categories.
Here are those winners:
- Best Cinematography: More than a Story.
- Best Editing: Monster is My Friend.
- Best Screenplay: Tee Shop.
- Best Use of Prop: Cookie Conscious.
- Best Use or Required Dialogue Line: Tee Shop.
- Best Use of Required Character: TIE: More than a Story & Journalism at its Finest.
- Best Original Score: THREE WAY TIE: Tee shop, Cookie Monster is My Friend, Quite the Character.
- Audience Favorite: Delusional Disorder
For the full playlist of all 2020 submitted films, visit 2020 Tempe Union Film Contest.